: There are a wide range of opportunities available for today’s holistic healing professional and there are many different potential business relationships that will be encountered throughout a typical career. Learning more about the business world will serve to equip the holistic healing professional with information and tools that will inevitably be required as you begin your career.
This course provides an overview of the theoretical principles for common massage therapy systems and manual techniques. The course, offered by our accredited school partners, discusses the historical influences from a variety of cultures in order to best understand the massage therapy industry and profession today. In addition, the course overviews selected major cautions and contraindications for giving massage, as well as the effects and benefits of proper massage therapy treatments. The course prepares students with fundamental knowledge about sanitation, and creating an appropriate environment to perform massage therapy services with ethical and professional boundaries. The course also serves to introduce both the theoretical basis as well as the demonstration of fundamental manual techniques in the traditional discipline of Western Massage (i.e. Swedish massage), and the contemporary systems of Myofascial Massage, Trigger Point Therapy, and Reflexology.
This course also overviews anatomy and physiology, and human pathology in order to understand all the inner working of the human body, how you think about the human body as a health care professional, how they communicate to colleagues and clients respectively about their bodies, and prepares you for continued studies for the applications of massage therapy.
The course discusses each body system in terms of the major anatomical structures and functions and explains how each system participates in homeostasis of the body. In addition, the course discusses selected major pathologies, including disease definitions and causes, signs and symptoms, diagnostic procedures, and possible treatments. Finally, the course discusses common issues and changes that occur in each body system throughout the lifespan.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
• Comprehend foundational knowledge for understanding and applying massage therapy.
• Gain insight into the philosophical and historical background of massage therapy.
• Explain the effects and benefits of massage.
• Understand clinical applications of massage.
• Explain contraindications and endangerment sites common to massage therapy practice.
• Understand general guidelines for giving massage including hygiene, setting up the physical environment, and elements of performance.
• Define the therapeutic relationship and basic ethical principles as they apply to the massage therapy profession.
• Understand the principles, and explain the common massage techniques used in Western Massage Therapy.
• Understand the principles of joint range of motion and explain the various techniques used to optimize joint mobility and range of motion.
• Understand the principles of Myofascial Massage and explain the basic manual techniques used to treat the myofascial system.
• Understand the basic physiology of trigger points, and explain the manual techniques used to treat trigger points as a massage therapist.
• Understand the principles of Reflexology and explain the basic techniques used to treat the various systems of the body with the application of manual reflexology methods.
• Describe the organization of the human body
• Define and differentiate Anatomy, Physiology, Kinesiology, and Pathology.
• Understand the basic knowledge of the major body systems: muscular system, skeletal system, and nervous system.
• Explain the contribution that each major body system makes to homeostasis of the body
• Identify the major anatomical structures and the purposes of each major body system
• Explain basic physiological processes in each of the major body systems
• Describe selected human diseases in terms of definition, cause, signs and symptoms, diagnostic procedures, and possible treatments for each of the body systems
• Describe common issues or changes that occur in each major body system throughout the lifespan
Enroll through one of our accredited university or college partners today!Instructor Description
: This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors review student work, student progress, and interact with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.
All materials for this course are provided.